Monday, October 3, 2016

The Sister-Friends Bereavement Society Parade


"You have found a place in my heart, and so that place is yours. It will fly your flag, speak your language, and honor you with festive parades forever." (Leigh Standley, Curly Girl Design.) 

Once upon a time, 20+ years ago, a friend was dying and we went to see her. It was a lovely visit and I left knowing I had told her how much she meant to me. Later, I wrote her a letter, not knowing if she'd ever see it or know I sent it. I needed to know that I hadn't failed to tell her the important place she would always hold in my heart. Then one day, I carried all the groceries up from the garage and Mike was standing in the kitchen with the news he didn't have to say out loud. 

The Sister-Friends Bereavement Society not a fun club. The meetings are unbearable and I’m tired of attending them.

But now, another meeting of the Society will be called to order and I'm a little angry about that. I'm consoling myself with the knowledge that this sister-friend knows how I feel about her. Because I told her. And then I told her again. And she thanked me. This summer, I joked that I had no unfinished business with her — well, except for the unplayed mah jongg games and the Cosmos we wouldn't drink together. 


Don't get me wrong, this going to be horrible. It always is. I will miss her with a searing sadness. But I will attempt to honor her wishes (“Don’t cry!”) and try to honor her with festive parades instead of tears.


Artwork & words © 2011 Leigh Standley, Curly Girl Design Inc.
www.curlygirldesign.com
(A card I gave to my friend last week.)

No comments: