Thursday, June 11, 2009

Gut Feelings

June 10, 2009

A month later. Guess I didn’t do a very good job with this! It was too much hassle to blog from Greece. We didn’t always have good internet service and when we did, we had to share computers…and by the time we all checked email and Facebook we were exhausted from our day. Anyway, I did record our travels in my journal and will transcribe that here and also add to it from my memories.

Then, two days before we returned we received the news that my Mom had died. That really took the wind out of our sails and we went through Sunday and Monday in a daze. We had scheduled Monday for shopping for gifts at the Plaka in Athens. We did shop but our hearts were barely in it. The trip home was long and sad. Then we spent one day at home before going to California for the funeral. More on that later too.

The trip to Greece was absolutely wonderful. I don’t think there were any really bad parts. There’s just something about the place…kind of gets me in the gut…or I should say in my heart. Some sort of mystical pull. I think I have a sense of how much my grandmother must have spent her entire life in the U.S. longing to return to Greece. It must have been so painful for her. I sure wish I could talk to her now.

No comments: